During the 1924 Memorial Day ceremony at Lincoln High School, Eunice Huseby, left, president of the Takolah Club, and Florence Anderson, right, president-elect, placed a floral wreath at the foot of the school's statue of Abraham Lincoln. The girls, dressed in white skirts and blouses, stood on a makeshift platform. The students at Lincoln had planned a ceremony that honored the school's namesake as well as veterans.
Members of the Delphinium Garden Club examine the hands of the old clock at (Old) City Hall on May 26, 1962. Mrs. Sigrid Holmberg, Mrs. Claude Purvis, and Mrs. Lee C. Garrison are assisted by Joe Mertz and E.F. Farrens, master clock expert from Portland. Mr. Farrens donated weekends to repair the clock along with his assistant, Mr. Mertz. The chimes and tower clock had stopped for three years and recently were re-started. The clock was reportedly "keeping beautiful time," although it may have been hard for a layman to detect since the hands were removed. A new set of hands would be made by the city's woodworking shop. The Delphinium Garden Club was financing restoration of the timepiece.
70 years ago today, on May 25, 1953, a long row of delivery trucks with accompanying drivers posed by the Columbia Breweries offices in Tacoma's downtown brewery district. Columbia Breweries, later to change its name to Heidelberg Brewing Co., was a long-time fixture in Tacoma. It was known for its Alt Heidelberg and Columbia Ale. The company finally closed its doors in 1979. That said, you can still find Alt Heidelberg alongside many other brews on tap at @7seasbrewing - keeping the tradition alive!
Rev. Jokatsu Yukawa, pastor of the Tacoma Hongwanji Buddhist Church, has donned protective gear and prepares to engage in kendo, a Japanese martial art. Rev. Yukawa is to the right in this sepia 1930's photograph; his masked opponent is not identified. The pair are practicing at the site of the Japanese Language School on Tacoma Avenue South, which had opened in 1921. Rev. Yukawa spent five years as the temple's minister, from 1928-1933. During his tenure, a $40,000 fund drive was initiated which culminated in the construction of the present church and junior members were organized in active Young Buddhist Association groups. He was promoted to serve a larger congregation in California and was replaced by Rev. Sensho Sasaki.